Well it's been a while since the last post but its time to bring the story of the trailer build to close (and reveal what been hiding under that car cover in background of the pics)
And as you can see the mystery machine is Lou's (my better half) 1977 Vauxhall Viva HC. The poor old girl's been off the road for a while now as Lou has been trying to get her business off the ground so the Viva's been mothballed for well over a year and she's looking pretty tired. My Dad has restored a few old bangers over the years so the viva's heading up to north Wales for the full treatment.
And the trailer performed (almost) faultlessly. You can see it's sitting quite low, that's partly because the old caravan springs are only rated for 1000kg (the Viva alone weighs 1200kg) and partly because I forgot to wind up the ride height adjustment before we put the car on, some uprated springs and some presence of mind will sort that right out.
The only other problem we encountered came at Michelwood services about 2.5 hrs into the journey when, on returning to the car after some food we found we had lost all the lights down one side of the the train. Well to cut long story short it was my bad. I had pinched the live to one of the mudguard marker lights when mounting the mudguard causing a short back to the car through the trailer chassis and the hitch. It took myself and the AA guy ages to diagnose it due to some rather 'creative' towing electrics being installed by the Audis previous owner but we got there in the end.
We made a small modification to the brakes when we got there to prevent the return springs retuning the brakes too far, and did a proper fix to wire in the wheel arch but that's all. Now all I have to do is talk Lou into letting me put a 2.2 Omega engine in the Viva when it comes back down. Watch This space